- Assures the implementation of cost-effective centralized materials selection, collection maintenance and deselection, ordering and receiving to assure a high quality and diverse collection of materials (print and non-print) throughout the Avalon Public Library system to appropriately meet the needs and requests of community and consistent with the Mission of Avalon Public Library.
- Performs professional work supervising and directing the development and maintenance of the library collection, building and facilitating the department budget, training staff on the use of database and programs used for materials selection and management, tracking and reporting various format and collection trends, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Operations Officer. Departmental supervision is exercised over all personnel within the department.
- Acts as the adult collection specialist; selects materials; evaluates and develops collection goals; provides means for staff and customers to request materials; works with vendors to set up selection lists and orders.
- Develops, implements and monitors the library materials, resources and database budgets.
- Oversees needs assessment, evaluation, selection, licensing and renewing and the coordination of the library’s public use subscription databases.
- Gathers, compiles and analyzes statistics and data relevant to collections; prepares reports for administration or staff to assist them with setting goals for weeding, building or organizing their collections.
- Attends and facilitates various meetings as a member and representative of the organization.
- Keeps current on industry trends; makes recommendations regarding collections management.
- Other duties as assigned.